On 11 September, a naming ceremony for an ice-breaking LNG carrier, which was jointly ordered by MOL and China COSCO Shipping Corporation Limited, was held at Daewoo Shipbuilding & Marine Engineering Co., Ltd.
The name "Vladimir Vize" was chosen in honor of the Russian Arctic explorer and oceanologist.
- Length: 299 m
- Breadth: 50 m
- Draft: 12 m (in ice sea sailing)
- LNG tank: Membrane type
- Cargo tank capacity: 172,000 m3
- Ice class/Specification: RMRS ARC7/Special specifications for Arctic environment
- Ice-break sailing capabilities: Icebreaker bow structure; 3-axis POD propeller aft structure
- Max. ice breaking capacity: 2.1m (when going astern)
- Shipyard: DSME
- Ship management company: MOL LNG Transport (Europe) Ltd.
- Ownership: MOL 50% / China COSCO Shipping 50%
The “Vladimir Vize” is a sister ship of the "Vladimir Rusanov", which started transport service at the end of March 2018 under a long-term charter contract to transport LNG for the Yamal LNG Project.
The “Vladimir Vize” is also scheduled to go into service for the Yamal LNG project following its delivery at the end of September in DSME and an ice-breaking navigation without ice-breaker support in the Northern Sea Route towards the Yamal LNG plant at Sabetta in Russia.
Construction of the last of the three newbuilding ice-breaking LNG vessels has been progressing as planned at DSME, according to MOL, the vessel is expected to be delivered to the Yamal LNG Project next year.
The construction of the four conventional LNG Carriers for the Yamal LNG Project announced in June 2017 (in partnership with China COSCO Shipping) is expected to be completed in 2019-2020.